These videos provide more information about Wild Horse Mesa and the San Luis Valley region, history, events and attractions.
1. Rocky Mountain PBS Documentary Video, 2015, Colorado Experience: The San Luis Valley, local history including Spanish explorer Coronado in 1542, Spanish land grants, Ute Indians, Mexican independence, early settlers from Mexico, Fort Garland, oldest town San Luis, oldest church, water rights, oldest store, agriculture, ranching, food, religion, more.
Watch 27-minute video at Colorado Experience, the San Luis Valley
2. Rocky Mountain PBS Documentary Video, 2018, Colorado Experience: Settling the Sand Dunes, local history including Ute Indians, Hispanic and Anglo sheep and cattle ranchers, Medano Zapata Ranch operated by The Nature Conservancy raising buffalo (bison), cattle and horses near the Great Sand Dunes.
Watch 26-minute video at Colorado Experience, Settling the Sand Dunes
3. Rocky Mountain PBS Documentary Video, KUED, 2009, We Shall Remain: The Ute, history of the Ute Indians in Colorado and Utah.
Watch 29-minute video at We Shall Remain: The Ute
4. Acequia Communities of Southern Colorado, Vimeo video (5:30), Sangre de Cristo Acequia Association in Costilla County, explains history of water ditch irrigation system and member rights, used here since early settlers arrived from New Mexico. A gravity powered irrigation system brought to Spain by the Romans and developed during several centuries of occupation by the Moors. Spanish governors brought the technology to the southwest for productive agriculture in the dry climate.
5. The Old Spanish Trail runs from Santa Fe to Los Angeles. The East Fork of the North Branch is on the east side of the San Luis Valley, east of Wild Horse Mesa, along Sanchez Reservoir, thru San Luis and Blanca in Costilla County, and along the Great Sand Dunes National Park, north to Crestone, before turning west across the valley. YouTube Video (3:38) of the Old Spanish Trail
6. YouTube Video of San Luis, Oldest Town in Colorado
7. 9News, KUSA, Denver, video on San Luis, Hispano History of Colorado’s Costilla County
8. YouTube Video, Living with Wild Horses on Wild Horse Mesa, by Judy Barnes, photographer, Spirit of the Wild Horse
9. Watch these great SLV Tourism Videos, produced by videographer Miles Eddy from Fort Garland
10. Potato growing in the San Luis Valley, Colorado Potato Administrative Committee, Monte Vista www.coloradopotato.org/colorado_potato_videos.php
11. Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, scenic highlights https://cumbrestoltec.com/the-experience/scenic-highlights/
12. Audio: R&R Market, San Luis, 160 year anniversary, 2017, 4-minute audio from Colorado Public Radio, (click on Listen button above photo) http://www.cpr.org/news/story/can-colorado-s-oldest-business-keep-its-160-year-old-family-tradition-alive
13. August 18, 2009, UnitedHealthcare launches Connected Care Telehealth Program for Rural Colorado. Videos give information and a demonstration of how the two-way audio/video telehealth service works between the rural patient and the physician/specialist. Initial service to begin in early 2010 in 4 existing rural health centers/clinics to be selected. www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8jbV1rugyc www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_RarG_K0c